So I read Sabrina Jeffries newest novel the other day and thought I would share what I thought about it with you all.
The Study of Seduction was amazing!! I loved the relationship between
Edwin and Clarissa, how it grew and matured as the book went along. I
did feel that Edwin's personal growth seemed to be a bit rushed at the
end, the whole realization that he was too proud/didn't trust easy, etc.
But overall I felt the character growth was not overly abrupt.
But
I think what I most loved about this book was the fact that it
addressed the issue of rape and of the worry male relatives felt for
their female family members. As a historian I feel that too often the
past is romanticized. People say, "these things didn't happen 100 years
ago" These sort of things did happen 100 years ago, people just had
vastly different ways of dealing with them. For example, Nial kills the
man who rapes his sister, flees to 'the continent' where England cannot
extradite him because of how the political structure was during the
1800s. On the other hand, Clarissa would have been forced to marry her
rapist had her family been the sort who was more concerned with the loss
of her virginity that the fact that she was brutally assaulted. And no
one outside of the two families knew what had happened. Life wasn't
necessarily safer in 'the old days', and I think the author did a good
job of putting something that we see as a modern issue in a regency
romance and handling it in a historically correct fashion.
Great writing, relatable characters, and a solid plot. This is definitely a series I will be following.
For anyone who wants a bit more information about the book here is the Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Study-Seduction-Sinful-Suitors/dp/1476786070?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr-mr-title
No comments:
Post a Comment